The Belfry is a converted stable block
and carriage house that once served the nearby Sedbury House. Built in 1898 by Sir William
Henry Marling the stables are believed to have replaced an existing structure.
The new stable block contained the Stable Masters
house, the Head Grooms house, the Carriage house, the stable workshop and of
course the the stables themselves. During the time Sedbury House was used as
an approved school the old stable buildings were used as workshops where the boys were
taught skills such as woodwork and metalwork.
1995, nearly 100 year after they were built, work started on converting the
stables into 10 private residential properties. Being in the curtilage of Sedbury
House, itself a Grade II* listed building, it was foremost in the developers
mind to maintain an affinity with the main house.
Each property has an individual character of its own and
a number of the original features have been saved and can still be seen around
the Belfry grounds. The properties all share a large central courtyard garden
where the odd bottle of wine or glass of ale has been quaffed in the past!